About Me

My photo
Portland, Oregon
I'm a slightly crazy, totally random, over-scheduled, over-thinking, under-efficient middle school math teacher and single mom.

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Ways to save money

I'm a thrifty momma, yes I am. I went to the goodwill the other day looking for planting pots. And I found some! Then I was walking down the glass aisle and saw the cutest shot glasses. I need shot glasses! I don't have any and when people come over to my house to drink alcohol (all of twice a year this happens) they comment that I don't have shot glasses. Well now I do. And since I'm buying them at the Goodwill, they're practically free, right?

It gets better. Then I found the section with the board games. Wowie wow wow (as Junie B Jones would say)! I remembered that I wanted board games for my classroom. I'd started to order some on my end of year POs and then realized it was eating up too much of my budget. But here we go! stacks of board games for a fraction of retail! I started loading up. Cribbage, monopoly, clue, rummikub, racko, trionimos - perfect games for a math class! Doubles and triples of some. I felt like I was really restraining myself to NOT walk away with every board game on the shelf. But I think I got about 20. Now I have enough board games that I can actually plan a game day and make all the kids play math-related board games. You WILL enjoy math. Oh, and I got a few for home too. Clue Jr. for the kids and a new set of trivial pursuit questions for me. I'm seeing an evening involving shot glasses and trivia in my future! Hopefully not alone.

Ian was with me and I let him pick out a toy for being such a good boy at the "firecracker" (that's chiropractor if you're not fluent in Ianese). He found an elmo car with a place for batteries. What mysteries would the elmo car hold? After he got his toy he really wanted to go home and play with it. He started really begging me to go home. Darn Ian, I could save us a bunch more money if you'd let me look at more stuff! When I got it home, washed it with bleach and put in a battery. Elmo drove in circles, waved and said "This is fun, Woo hoo, here we go" over and over. That was worth an hour of entertainment.

So I got the pots I wanted for 99 cents a piece. What a deal. And I only spent $38 to get them! Now that you know this is the blog with the best tips on saving money, I'm sure you'll be checking in regularly.

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

Your shopping style sounds like mine - "but look at all the coupons and store savings! I saved over $40! Sure, my total was $200...."