About Me

My photo
Portland, Oregon
I'm a slightly crazy, totally random, over-scheduled, over-thinking, under-efficient middle school math teacher and single mom.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I'm Here!!!! TWO days in a ROW!!!!

It is 1 am so technically it's tomorrow, but since I don't have any hours of sleep between me and "yesterday", it doesn't count.

Here was a headache of a conversation I had today. Today's lesson in math class: percents greater than 100. The kids totally thougth they understood this, and the hands down favorite example in every class was when coaches tell them to "give it 110%". 110% of WHAT? They had no idea. It was hair pulling trying to get them to wrap their brains around why I can say 110% of my effort yesterday, but it makes no sense to say 110% of your best because if it were really your best, you couldn't do any better. It's funny how the word "best" has become very casual with kids. It is their favorite thing to say "I'm doing my best". Really? Is showing up without a pencil, no book and an excuse instead of homework really your best? Really? That's just sad. I know I sound mean, but it's the middle of May and I teach 7th grade!

I was able to tear myself at work at 5:15, trying to finish projects that were supposed to be collaborations but I've found it's quicker to do it myself. I'm SWAMPED right now and PISSED abotu some things going on at my school. But I'm not going into school politics right now.

I'm glad I looked at the clock when I did because if I'd gone any later, I'd have missed picking up the kids. I got them home by 6:15 and made them PB&J for dinner. They couldn't wait for the rice I was making for myself. I ended up eating Pb& J too because it smelled so good.

I get to listening to my messages and find out that TOMORROW they are pressure washing my deck so that they can paint on Saturday. So I need to have everything off of there TONIGHT and won't be able to put it back until Sunday. I was so annoyed. I mean, I'm glad I'm going to have a nice clean, freshly painted deck, but maybe a little notice and maybe if you have time to clean the deck you could find time to fix my broken dishwasher!!!! And it's not like I have a garage, so the stuff just has to go into my apartment. So now my dining room is piled high with potted plants, a bbq, extra table, etc. The saddest part for me is that Thursday and Friday we will see record high heats and my plants would just LOVE that. They are dying for sunshine. I think I will put them back outside after tomorrow anyway.

Well, those are the ramblings for today. Happy May 14 to you all! All 2 of you.=)

No comments: